The Revolution is Not Being Televised

Friday, June 01, 2007

Nine and a Half Days

Nine and a half school days left, not that anyone, student or teacher, is counting. It’s the time of year when the local 20-year-olds are home from college and substitute teaching; their first couple of days they wear ties and real shoes and school looks like it’s been overrun by Jehovah’s Witnesses. It’s the time of year when progress is measured and thank yous, said.

One class I spend a lot of time in is taught by an old-school teacher, the kind who believes in respect and politeness and saying thank you. Three days ago I went into her room and was asked to return in five minutes; as I left I saw a flash of green construction paper out of the corner of my eye. My suspicion that something was happening was confirmed when I was later asked to join the class Friday at 10.

It’s lovely when a surprise is truly that. Sure, I knew that something was going on. But did I expect what occurred? Absolutely not. Thank you cards from construction paper, adorned with feathers, and pom poms? I might have guessed. A puppet show of nursery rhymes? I would never have suspected. And for the snacks, well, why does anyone bother to write fiction?

“Gorp,” the teacher had announced to the class, and each had brought a contribution, all of which were combined in the old fashion. So from blue paper cups bearing a national soft-drink logo, we feasted on a combination of the following:

Chocolate chips
Colored candy-covered chocolate chips
Mini marshmallows
Fruit Loops cereal
Another puffy, sweet cereal
Shredded coconut
Smartfood cheesey popcorn
Cashew pieces
Raisins
A salty pretzel/bagel chip/etc snack mix

Truly a culinary wonderment. It was the best surprise I’d had all year. Kids want to do the right thing, and this teacher has taught them, all year long, that kindness and gratitude are always the right thing. It was a pleasure to benefit from this wonderful lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home